A lucky Get Up & Go reader (and companion) have the opportunity to enjoy the history and elegance of Britain in the Downton Abbey era with Golden Compass. London, Oxfordshire, Cheshire, Scotland, Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire have their calling cards out for you.
The series Downton Abbey has thrown an entertaining spotlight on the great social and political changes affecting Britain during the first quarter of the 20th century: the dawning of the Modern Era. Britain saw the rise of socialism, servants being replaced with domestic appliances and society from the greatest aristocracy to the humblest household was forced to deal with the overwhelming changes in the class structure.
Golden Compass’s Britain’s Downton Era 19-day tour visits an inspiring range of country homes to learn how all classes of society lived and worked. You will gain an insight into how women’s and workers’ rights changed over the period, into the art, literature, technology, fashion and interior design of the ‘Downton Era’. Your journey commences in London during the British summer.
Golden Compass’s Britain’s Downton Era tour highlights include:
• Guided tours of Highclere, the summer opening of Buckingham Palace to view the rooms depicted in Season 4, impressive Basildon Park (the location of the Crawley’s London residence during the 2013 Christmas special), extravagant Waddesdon Manor, and the Oxfordshire village of Bampton where the village of Downton is filmed.
• Visits to the great stately home of Chatsworth as well as Erddig with its portrayal of upstairs and downstairs life in the 20th century.
• A tour of Scotland to view iconic Inveraray Castle, as well as the Scottish capital Edinburgh, the UNESCO World Heritage site of New Lanark and Loch Lomond.
• An exploration of the literary heritage of the period from the London of George Orwell and Virginia Woolf to the Nottingham of DH Lawrence and the Brideshead of Evelyn Waugh.
• Lectures on the social history, art, architecture, technology, fashion and interior design of the era with visits to the Science Museum, the V&A and the Imperial War Museum.
• 18 nights en-suite accommodation.
• All breakfasts.
• 15 dinners.
• Touring by a comfortable and modern coach.
• Transport, lectures and field trips.
• Applicable entry fees and local professional guides.
• Services of a program leader throughout the tour.
• All gratuities.
• Detailed preparatory information.
Prize value: $10,000
ENTER NOW TO WIN a $10,000 Golden Compass holiday and be immersed in the elegance of Britain’s Downton Era.